วันพุธที่ 20 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2551

Get Up-Dust Yourself Off-and Try Again!

Author : Jerry Aragon
Failure; (description) a person or thing that proves unsuccessful.The failures are those who sit in the stands and never try anything! They're the Monday night quarterbacks, who many times, talk about what they CAN'T do instead of what they CAN do! These are people who are usually quick to criticize others, and quick to put-down others as well. If these people would use all that negative energy, to do positive things in their lives, they would be a better person and would contribute more to society, etc.I never like to use the word, "failure." Instead, I like to use the word "set-back," because if a person TRIES in any endeavor and doesn't succeed, that person is not a failure...it was only a set-back, in my view!Set-back: (description) An unanticipated or sudden check in progress; a change from better to worse;Like many others, I have had my share of set-backs in my lifetime, and the list is long, but I'll share with you a couple of them.* "Jerry, the final paper you turned in, is one of the worst papers I have ever seen! You must turn in another paper that is acceptable or you will not pass the writing course!" Those were the words of one of my writing instructors, as he did not accept my final paper! At the time, I was not a happy camper about it, because I had been working on the course for over six months, and I wanted to finish...so, I took the fast approach!But, Dr. McCollister (instructor) was right! I turned in a bunch of trash! Garbage in...garbage out! After pouting and crying for about a month, I forced myself to write another paper and I completed the writing course. I couldn't spend all that money and not finish the course. I've always liked to consider myself a "finisher," so when I start something, I like to finish it, even if it doesn't turn out the way I had planned, etc.* As a wood carver, I have participated in over 40 arts and crafts shows all over the state of New Mexico. (where I live), and I have had my share of bombs! The atomic variety...the hydrogen variety...the smart bomb...the stupid bomb...a clean bomb...the dirty bomb...you name it! And, if I bomb at an arts and crafts show...I like to do it right! Bombs away!Years ago, I participated in a small show in a small town just south of Albuquerque, N.M. It was the fourth of July week-end, and there gobs of people at the show all day long. Many of them came back later on that night for the fireworks display. But, one this day, there were NO fireworks at my display! Despite the heavy traffic all day, and when the sun set, and the fireworks began...I didn't sell anything...nothing...nada...zip...zero...not even a dollar panda bear! Boy, this will take the wind out of your sails! Very few people stopped at my display that dreadful day! People walked by and looked at me as if I had leprosy or some other contagious disease! I felt like the whole world was a tuxedo, and I was just a pair of old brown shoes!Because I've always been a positive thinker, I always like to find something positive in something negative or in a set-back. I remember after this show and after I got home, I thought to myself, "The public is NOT going to get away with this...they CANNOT do this to me...I'll be back!" I had no idea why I did so poorly at the show, but the set-back was one of the best things that happened to me, because, at the time, I was getting my feet a little bit off the ground, and I was getting a little bit arrogant! So, this set-back did me some good to straighten me out and improve my attitude, so it was good for me!* I was a wood carver for over twenty years, and because I have been in the humor business most of my life, I specialized in carving mostly cartoon-like characters and most were captioned. Over the years, I have carved wildlife pieces; a few birds; a few religious pieces such as a 14 piece Manger Set in redwood. (snowy scene). So, one day I saw a "call for entries" in the newspaper for artists to participate in a local show. I juried one of my wildlife pieces, to see if I could enter the show.A couple of weeks later, I got my "Dear Jer" letter saying that I was not accepted for the show! Obviously, I was dissapointed, but it didn't sting too much. If I had been selected for the show, I might have continued to carve wildlife and birds and that's not what I do best. What I did best is to carve the cartoon-like characters, which were my passion, and I continued with the characters!Just like everyone else, I've taken a dusting on many of my projects I have done over the years. And, I don't like to talk about my set-backs very much, but I think it's important for kids and young people to understand, at an early age, that not everything is going to go their way! Not at home; at school; at the playground; at work; on the team, etc. They're going to have to deal with set-backs in their lives...after all...you win a few...and you lose a few, too!email; humordoctor@aol.com
Website: humordoctormd
Over 200 colorful pages; over 500 graphics
humordoctormd.homestead.com
Copyright; Jerry Aragon; 2006
Keyword : people, writing, paper, traffic, religious

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: